Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Birthday






Can you believe it, Emma is one year old! She has been part of our family for a year. It is amazing how such a small little thing can change your life. So, I thought that I would be ambitious and throw a little Birthday Party for Emma, but as the date got closer and closer, my ambition got less and less. So, we had several small celebrations with family but no really big party. My sister, Julie, blessed her son, Andrew, the first Sunday of February. My parents drove from Pocatello and stayed at our place to attend the blessing. I decided to have a mini celebration simply because my parents and family were there. So, I told Julie that we would provide the cake and ice cream. She did not need to worry about desert after the blessing. It was a fun little celebration, we let Emma dig into a "piece" of cake but forgot the camera. The following Sunday we decided to have a more formal party with my brothers and sisters in the area. In the end, Julie and her family were the only ones that came. We made a roast, mashed potatoes, corn, and Julie supplied an ice cream sandwhich cake. We again gave Emma a small slice and then let her go at it. This time we caught it on video. That was the highlight of the evening.

Some of the hallmarks that occured during Emma's first year of life include:


  • Trip to Disneyland

  • Mommy returning to school

  • Mommy defending her thesis

  • Mommy graduating

  • The move to Eagle Mountain

  • Buying a condo

  • Buying a second car

  • Mommy getting full time employment with Alpine School District

  • Daddy switching jobs - now working as a phlebotomist (spelling?) at IMC in Murray

  • Emma's Surgery

Needless to say, that this has been an eventual year. We have had so many wonderful things happen, I'm not sure if we can ever top it! Being a mom is a wonderful thing. I can't believe how much joy and fullfillment it brings into your life. Bringing Emma into this life was a test of our faith - especially since I was right in the middle of grad school. However, it has turned into one of the best things we have ever done. It definitely wasn't easy and it still isn't but it was definitely worth it. I love that little girl more than I can express. I appreciate the opportunity given to me to be a mother and I hope that I will always be grateful for that blessing. She makes me smile every day!

3 comments:

brookelovesjay said...

hey missy why you keepin your blog a secret from me? i've been wondering what you have been up to! i've just been trying to stay sane with a screaming baby. he's getting better though. we need to get together with everyone again!

Amanda said...

Fun blog! It does take a little getting used to and I still drop the ball every once in a while. I love hearing about you guys. Have fun and keep it up!

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

great post and welcome to the blogging world!! nice to see some pictures of your cutie pie!